History of the 1:1 Rollout
Belvidere CMS is cruising along in its third year of the District 1:1 technology rollout. Two years ago, three adventorous teachers piloted the Chomebooks in their classrooms. Many thanks go to Mr. Houston, Mrs. Proffitt, and Mrs. Soma for taking on this challenge - their experiences smoothed the path for those that followed.
Last year, all 6th grade middle students were assigned a Chromebook to use in their classrooms, leaving them in their Homebase to charge overnight. Now in 2016-17, these 7th graders, as well as the incoming 6th graders, are taking their Chromebooks home at night to make their homework easier and more enjoyable.
There have certainly been bumps along the road - and there are some students who have difficulty remembering to charge their device every night! But both teachers and students have generally been happy with the new ability to incorporate technology in the classroom.
Reminders for the Students
- Bring a Charged Chromebook to school in its case, everyday!
- Shut down your Chromebook once a day. You can do this by pressing and holding the power button/key, or by clicking in the status area (next to your account picture on the tray) and clicking the power icon. This is also a good idea if you are having issues with your Chromebook. It pushes policies and updates to help your Chromebook run its best.
- Keep food or drink away from your Chromebook.
- Use the case pocket for your mouse and headphones, not food or heavy items. We have had screens break because heavy/hard items have been stored in the case pocket..
- Clean your Chromebook with a soft, anti-static or microfiber cloth. Do not use window cleaners, aerosol sprays, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean the device.
- If you have an issue with your Chromebook, visit the Chromebook station in the library.
If you have lost your Chromebook, please report it immediately to a teacher or the Chromebook station so we have the best chance to recover it.
LOOK BACK TO THIS PAGE IN THE FUTURE FOR MORE INFO AND A LISTING OF VALUABLE RESOURSES IN USING CHROMEBOOKS AND GOOGLE APPS FOR EDUCATION.
Tech Integration Specialist Cathy Cassaro
Level 1 Building Tech